Friday 25 February 2011

Days To Remember

There are certain days in your life that are worth remembering. I remember my first ever band call for a panto. I remember doing my first West End press night and nearly hitting Will Young with my phone as I dropped it through nerves. Friday 11th February is one of the days that will be ingrained on my memory forever. The start and end of an era.

I guess a career change isn't particularly unusual, but to attempt one based on no relevant experience and no relevant qualifications in this economic climate is probably nothing short of madness. Fair enough, I had very good reasons to be looking for a real job for the first time in my life. The psoriatic arthritis was making my position as a freelance musician completely untenable. All the same, the prospects for somebody with my employment history getting a job in another field were slim. It was hard enough getting a job as a musician.

That Friday I attended an aptitude test. It was for the only job that I had really been drawn to as I typed cover letter after cover letter. It was also the only job to come back with a positive response, and 1 of only 3 to respond at all. Apparently I did well in the tests and was asked for an interview the following week and finally offered the job yesterday.

What really made the day momentous though? Well straight after the aptitude test I left to do two shows at the Shaw Theatre in Euston. These shows were my last engagements as a professional musician. I was on this show that I confirmed to myself that it was time to move on. I wasn't expecting the move to be quite that instant.

In fact, the day serves to remind me how lucky I've been in life. Almost every job that I've really wanted has been offered to me. Just when I need it most I get the job that I wanted from my first ever job interview against people that I'm sure had better CVs for the role. I'm definitely not a religious man, never will be, but sometimes I do wonder, when things really go this well, if somebody is looking out for me.

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just browsing through your Yelp profile and saw the link to this blog (we met at the Steak Club thing).

    Anyway, I just wanted to say that I have an aunt with psoriatic arthritis so I have witnessed the obstacles that you are probably encountering. The great thing about your blog is that you are positive. My aunt is one of the most influential people in my life. She's an inspiration because she never let it stop her from doing what she wants. And I see that in you too...

    This brings me to my other point, you have done more things with your life than most people are brave enough to do. For example, I graduated with a degree in linguistics and music and had always planned to make music my career. However, I always let things get in the way of pursuing my dream (i.e. nagging Filipino mother that wants me to be a doctor/engineer/lawyer or fears of not getting any gigs). instead, I'm in a "practical" job doing practical-like things. I like the job enough but I still wonder if I'll ever have the courage to give it all up, have financial instability, and do something that I love - music.

    You have been working in a field that you absolutely love and that's something most people can't say (I'm certainly jealous). Whatever happens from this point on, and judging from what I've read so far, I have no doubt in my mind that you'll be fine.

    Next time I see you at a Yelp event say hi! Or let me know if you ever want to hang out sometime as I'd love to talk about music with other musicians. :)

    -Rylan

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll definitely catch you at another Yelp event. It's great that your aunt has been such an inspiration to you. With something like this you've only got two choices, give up or get on with life.

    I have been very luck to have a great, albeit short, career as a musician. I'm also lucky enough to have achieved a large number of my personal goals in that area. A lot of the work I was doing was pretty uncreative. The irony is that not being a professional musician may give me more impetus to be a creative musician. I'm hoping that music isn't finished for me but it'll never be a full-time career again. Keep working on the music on the side and something will start happening for you. The most important thing is to enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I still perform. I'm actually only here in London for a few months for work. I'm actually from San Francisco and I play the piano and flute in an orchestra over there. But voice is really where I want to start doing things professionally. I also write music and doodle around with producing electronic music.

    See you around!

    ReplyDelete