Saturday 12 February 2011

My first job hunt

Now my career as a musician is over, maybe for good, it's time for me to start looking for a job. I've never really had to do it before. Every job that I had as a musician came through word of mouth. Even with the Mary Poppins tour, where nearly every other member of the band had an interview, I was let in on the word of the Musical Supervisor Steve Brooker.

At the moment I'm really applying for a bit of anything. I know I definitely don't want to do sales or recruitment but beyond that pretty much anything is open. Marketing seems to be an area that I keep being drawn to - largely because it doesn't necessarily require previous experience.

I had an aptitude test for a company involved in online marketing yesterday. It genuinely felt a bit like being back at school doing exams again, except this time I was completely unprepared. The test was very specific for that company and I think I acquitted myself as best I could but I'm really not expecting anything from my first experience of the real world of work. It's a shame that they're the first people that I've got anywhere with. I think I would probably quite enjoy doing the job and working for that company but my lack of interview experience as much as anything else will probably be a big hinderence.

No comments:

Post a Comment