Friday 4 March 2011

Haircut in a Snowstorm

One of thee curses of psoriasis is that it can sometimes make everyday tasks stressful and embarrassing. I have undiagnosed scalp psoriasis. I say undiagnosed because at various times it has been diagnosed by GPs as eczema and seborrheic dermatitis, although they refuse to refer me to a dermatologist despite it being clinically relevant. The way that it responded to steroids and the pattern of flare-ups in combination with my psoriatic arthritis tells me that it is almost certainly psoriasis.

One of the cruel things, and something confirmed by psoriasis blogger Howard H Chang, is that there appears to be a relationship between scalp psoriasis and length of hair. In other words, just as it's time to have somebody get as close to my head as I ever let anyone my scalp decides to start shedding skin. To make it worse, the gowns that my barber uses are black. Every little (or big) flake of skin that falls out of my head is clearly visible for all to see. I have to sit there surrounded by my own skin in the full knowledge that everyone else can see it too. When it's just on my shoulders I can forget about it; I can't see it and people are too polite to mention it. At the barber it's there on full show.

On the other hand, though, I know when I sit in the barber's chair that he's about to give me 4-5 weeks relief from itching just by cutting my hair. And believe me it itches. It itches all day. It itches so much I'll pick at it and scratch it until it bleeds.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Dan,

    Just to let you know I'm reading your blog and have much sympathy for your struggles (a struggle that fortunately for me I do not have to endure.)

    Keep posting; I'm reading.

    C

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dan,

    I used to have very bad psoriasis on my scalp when I was a teenager. Now being a girl I was fortunate in that I could grow my hair long and wear it down. On the downside, teenagers can be quite critical. Luckily most people were understanding (at least to my face). As for hairdressers, they have seen it all. I used to explain before they got their hands on me, usually something like ' I have very bad psoriasis on my scalp, it is itchy, flakey, bleedy etc Please don't be alarmed...' They were all very professional and sympathetic in my experience (over ten years).
    The other good news is, it completely disappeared after that. It was so weird, it vanished as quickly as it arrived in the first place! I can now wear my hair up and get very excited about it! (No one else knows that I am excited, just me :)
    Keep posting Dan. I am learning lots from you and appreciate you sharing.

    Zeenat

    ReplyDelete