Tuesday 21 June 2011

Inhibiting COX

They've got me on a great new medication now. It's called Etoricoxib and is another anti-inflammatory drug. I had to switch medication because I developed some pretty crippling inflammatory back pain and Diclofenac is pretty rubbish at tackling that.
Etoricoxib / Arcoxia
Etoricoxib, better known as Arcoxia, is a COX-2 inhibitor. Most standard anti-inflammatories inhibit both COX-1 and COX-2. This is a bad thing. COX-2 is the cause of inflammation around the body but COX-1 is responsible for the proper functioning of the stomach. In fact, stopping COX-1 from doing it's job makes you pretty much dependent on pills to protect your stomach and prevent ulcers. Etoricoxib is in theory much safer as your stomach is left pretty intact.

Why in theory?


Arcoxia is a pretty new drug and the evidence behind it isn't perhaps as good as it should be. Because of this it's not licensed for use in America at all. Here in the UK you can get it prescribed on the NHS but it's not as easy as it could be. Only certain hospitals stock it due to the cost. It is possible to get though.

Magic!!!!


The Arcoxia has really transformed me again. Just as I was starting to get angry and miserable it's cleared up a lot of the pain again. It also means that I only have to take pills once a day, which I can normally remember, rather than twice a day, which I frequently screw up.

No comments:

Post a Comment